Kalrati

Star Wars Squadrons - Space Hype or Space Caution?

sws-screenshot-reveal-6.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.818p.jpg

The Star Wars name is coming up again in a seemingly exciting 5v5 game called Star Wars: Squadrons. From the cinematic trailer to the gameplay reveal, players can look forward to instant starfighter action on the Xbox one, Playstation 4 (PS4) and PC. You will also be able to play with your friends with cross-platform support across the PS4 and PC along with support for Virtual Reality (VR) for all your virtual satisfaction. 

But I implore you to use the Force and remain cautiously optimistic.

Star Wars: Squadrons is bringing to the masses what many space gamers already know: VR, Ship Component Management, Power Management, Customization, Joystick Controls, (partial) Newtonian Space Physics and some more in games such as Star Citizen (developing), Elite dangerous, No Man's Sky and Ever Space just to name a few., but (compared to some) in a more basic sense. Similar to its FPS equivalents (such as Battlefront 2, Call of Duty, Battlefield), its game design is certainly...not something I think space game developers assumed can stand up as a standalone product, from what we've seen at least.

mav-screens-game-tiecockpit.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.818p.jpg

Cockpit Ship Information in Star Wars: Squadrons

hornet.jpg

Cockpit Ship Information in Star Citizen

That being said, the success of these space games has not mainly been about the aforementioned, but about the vastness of space in their game designs and the discoveries that space game explorers have left Earth to un-Earth (see what I did there?). Star Wars: Squadrons brings to the space table a more instantaneous jump-in/jump-out combat narrative between their campaign mode and multipalyer experiences, which, some other space games will look at and see as a mere add-on to their overall product. But saying this, I have to admit, is reading the cover of the book without looking into the contents. And just how many pages Star Wars: Squadrons contain to make a final verdict will be something to look forward to when comparing it to its space-game counterparts. 

4.JPG

How replayable Star Wars: Squadrons will be, how many maps, ship upgrades, customisations and the like this upcoming addition will bring to the cosmo table is what I'm looking forward to see. And after the Star Wars name in the marketing and advertisements leading up to its release has been put to rest, the question on everyone's minds should be how much can it stand as a $40 product five months after its release and how much support will it receive following the gameplay moments many Star Wars and Space game fans generate. 

Despite EA's practices, one can say that a great job was done with supporting Battlefront 2 subsequent to its release along with Respawn Entertainment's Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. But it's important to remember to manage the hype. If anything, I am glad that more love to the space-game community is continuing to be generated. Let's see how this product performs, but until then, fly safe pilots. 

And May the Cautious Hype Be With You